Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any fear of pushback from Corporate ISPs?
Considering what happens when local governments plan local ISPs, what protections, if any, are in place when comcast et al start to fear skywire?
(01-06-2018, 11:24 PM)WuggyWuggWugg Wrote: Considering what happens when local governments plan local ISPs, what protections, if any, are in place when comcast et al start to fear skywire?

How do you imagine this happening? Depending on how they attempt to attack skywire, it may already be antifragile enough to resist that sort of crack down.

Satellites will probably be the answer to a lot of scenarios though.
Making a campaign to outlaw it. The way all regulatory capture plans work, basically.
(01-07-2018, 01:34 AM)WuggyWuggWugg Wrote: Making a campaign to outlaw it.  The way all regulatory capture plans work, basically.

I think they'd have to block usage of VPN's then right?  AFAIK Skywire packets are all the same size and the network works like a VPN.  That's about all I can offer as a network noob.  Someone smarter than me please jump in...
This is a concern for me as well. I'll be putting up a node ASAP. The issue is that my ISP will be seeing a spike in my traffic. That is troublesome because I'm not exactly a web of trust that obscures activity in aggregate when I'm just a single node. Am I? Does the current functionality (the VPN-like feature) offer any protection for neighbors that might use my node for browsing illegal content?
This is the reason why most of people like us, trust VPN's for now. Can't predict anything about the future endeavors but at-least happy for now as my ISP is not interfering or eavesdropping in my internet history. Thanks to Ivacy VPN.
(01-09-2018, 04:54 PM)CutiePi Wrote: This is a concern for me as well. I'll be putting up a node ASAP. The issue is that my ISP will be seeing a spike in my traffic. That is troublesome because I'm not exactly a web of trust that obscures activity in aggregate when I'm just a single node. Am I? Does the current functionality (the VPN-like feature) offer any protection for neighbors that might use my node for browsing illegal content?

Right now: no.
Currently, you're a so-called "Exit Node" and (depending on the law of your country) 100% liable for the stuff "you" do. If someone else is using your node, it will look like you have done it.
That was my main concern as well and since there's no other option right now, I routed all traffic of my node through a Russian Mini-Server with a VPN Software installed (and I've written a Tutorial about it). So for ~$3 a month, I can sleep at night and I have my own VPN for other private stuff as well Smile
So there's a workaround - at least if you're willing to trust your VPS/VPN Provider to keep your information private.