Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bay area & NorCal let's mesh
I'm still fresh to this (WUG) space as I imagine many of us are, but I'm interested in building some infrastructure. I've been looking at some of the Ubiquiti units and delving into their specs. If we can get to Vallejo, then we can mesh us to Sacramento.

We've been making a lot of history this past decade and Sky has really taken the torch and run with it. They've made it pretty clear this is a community project, they're a community of devs working for us, we need to come together as a community and do the same because there's a shit ton of work that needs to be put in. 

/diatribe

Let's mesh norcal. I think we should attempt to find a consensus on Hardware, I'm still performing research. I'd like to hear thoughts from someone more experienced?
(01-09-2018, 09:43 PM)JiaLee Wrote: I'm still fresh to this (WUG) space as I imagine many of us are, but I'm interested in building some infrastructure. I've been looking at some of the Ubiquiti units and delving into their specs. If we can get to Vallejo, then we can mesh us to Sacramento.

We've been making a lot of history this past decade and Sky has really taken the torch and run with it. They've made it pretty clear this is a community project, they're a community of devs working for us, we need to come together as a community and do the same because there's a shit ton of work that needs to be put in. 

/diatribe

Let's mesh norcal. I think we should attempt to find a consensus on Hardware, I'm still performing research. I'd like to hear thoughts from someone more experienced?

What is the terrain like. Is it a tree-filled area, are there big buildings around, is there a high point that is easily accessible to houses or buildings lower down, and how far apart will the potential nodes be from each other? All those factors should determine the type of equipment needed. Some users will be happy to be clients while others will want to become fully fledged access points and data backbones

2.4Ghz should be considered in tree filled areas, as it penetrates objects better than 5Ghz. 

I'm currently running a 5Ghz link to a friend on the hill who is 3.5 kilometers away. I get dl speeds of 5-6 MB on a wireless N connection. We are in the process of upgrading to AC which will make the link a lot faster

Ubiquiti makes very good wireless equipment which is easy to configure and maintain. Mikrotik is also good but is a lot more complicated to configure and maintain. It's the best equipment to use if complex routing rules are required

My suggestion is to get a friend interested and establish a link between yourselves. If you have clear line of sight, go with 5Ghz. If there are dense tress or buildings in the path, find another friend or test with some 2Ghz equipment. 

Look at this site for info and inspiration -> https://ctwug.za.net/
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to skyguy for this post:
  • JiaLee
Thanks for the info SkyGuy!

I'm a nomad who floats through the Norcal area. I'm looking for an ideal place to rent with a gigabit connection, and I'd like to get on a hill in order try and connect with another forum user on another hill nearby. If there's enough interest on this board, I think it would be cool to coordinate from SF to sac, or at least try. If theres anyone up on a hill in the bay send me a pm and we can coordinate. I have multiple spots I can set up equipment at the moment, none with competent connections but that wouldn't be so crucial because anything helps, I'd like to focus on expanding the wireless aspect.

If anyone else is interested in the area, I'd be willing to map you all out privately (you can just pm me a wide general area) and in this way I can serve to connect forum users. I'll be most likely purchasing Ubiquity Units, but I'll be doing further research.