Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configure Skywire Node on Ubuntu Server
Information 
Follow the steps below to create a Skywire node on a Ubuntu Server / Desktop

**Skywire is still in testing phase, so don't expect to earn any skycoins or coinhours when your node is operational. This is for educational purposes only 

I personally installed skywire from a Windows Desktop using putty. The same process can be applied using a shell window on the Ubuntu Desktop

Manually Install GO

(1) Launch Putty and connect to your Ubuntu Server. My server's IP is 192.168.1.14 (replace with your server's IP or hostname)

[Image: Launch_Putty.jpg]

(2) From the shell prompt, run the following command to update Ubuntu and install the required linux dependencies. Press Enter when prompted for a Y/N

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y
sudo apt-get install -y curl git mercurial make binutils gcc bzr bison libgmp3-dev screen gcc build-essential

(3) Declare version of Go to install

After the update is finished, declare the version of go you want to download / install using the following command. I installed 1.9

Code:
cd ~
export GOV=1.9 # golang version. Could be any of the following versions 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, ..., 1.9

(4) Download and uncompress golang source

Code:
curl -sS https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go$GOV.linux-amd64.tar.gz > go$GOV.linux-amd64.tar.gz
tar xvf go$GOV.linux-amd64.tar.gz
rm go$GOV.linux-amd64.tar.gz

(5) Install go

Code:
sudo mv go /usr/local/go
sudo ln -s /usr/local/go/bin/go /usr/local/bin/go
sudo ln -s /usr/local/go/bin/godoc /usr/local/bin/godoc
sudo ln -s /usr/local/go/bin/gofmt /usr/local/bin/gofmt

(6) Create GO Directories

Code:
mkdir -p $HOME/go
mkdir -p $HOME/go/bin
mkdir -p $HOME/go/src
mkdir -p $HOME/go/pkg

(7) Setup $GOPATH variable

(i) From your home path (cd ~), edit .bashrc using the vi command

Code:
vi .bashrc

(ii) In vi, press shift G, shift $, a, Enter, and paste the following new lines

Code:
export GOROOT=/usr/local/go
export GOPATH=$HOME/go
export GOBIN=$GOPATH/bin
export PATH=$PATH:$GOBIN

(iii) Now press Esc twice, shift colon ( : ), wq, and Enter to save

[Image: write_quit_vi.jpg]

(iv) Reload the Path by running the following command

Code:
source ~/.bashrc

GO installation complete

Install Skycoin

(1) Download skycoin from github using the following command

Code:
go get github.com/skycoin/skycoin/...

(2) Run Skycoin from the command line

Code:
cd $GOPATH/src/github.com/skycoin/skycoin
make run

If installing directly from an Ubuntu desktop, open a browser and enter the following IP and port to see the skycoin wallet

Code:
http://127.0.0.1:6420

(3) Launch Skycoin

Launch skycoin by running the following command

Code:
make run

If successful, you should be able to connect to the wallet from your Ubuntu desktop. Launch a browser window and enter http://127.0.0.1:6420.  

[Image: skycoin_linux_wallet.jpg]

Install Skywire

(1) Download skywire using git

Code:
cd $GOPATH/src/github.com/skycoin
git clone https://github.com/skycoin/skywire.git

(2) Build binaries for skywire

Code:
cd $GOPATH/src/github.com/skycoin/skywire/cmd
go install ./...

(3) Run Skywire

Code:
cd $GOPATH/bin
./manager -web-dir ${GOPATH}/src/github.com/skycoin/skywire/static/skywire-manager

At this point, you should have access to the monitor. Open a browser and navigate to http://server_ip:8000

[Image: skywire_monitor.jpg]

The node won't be running at this point. To start a node, enter the following command in a new putty window. It takes +-60 seconds before you will see some activity in the command window. Once there is activity, your node should be up

Code:
cd $GOPATH/bin
./node -connect-manager -manager-address :5998 -manager-web :8000 -discovery-address discovery.skycoin.net:5999-034b1cd4ebad163e457fb805b3ba43779958bba49f2c5e1e8b062482904bacdb68  -address :5000 -web-port :6001

[Image: skywire_node_online.jpg]

**New update

I made some scripts to automate starting the manager and node. Download and extract the skywire-system-files.zip attachment below

(1) As the root user, copy skywire-start to /usr/local/sbin directory
(2) Edit skywire-start and replace [your user account name] with your username, i,e tom, david, etc
(3) Copy skywire.service to /etc/systemd/system
(4) Edit skywire.service and replace [your user account name] and [your group] with your username and group 
(5) Enable the skywire service by typing the following command as root

Code:
systemctl enable skywire.service

**Once the service has been enabled, skywire will automatically launch (start) at system boot

To test, manually start the skywire service by running the following command

Code:
systemctl start skywire

Now navigate to http://server_ip:8000 and you should see the skywire login page

To stop or restart the skywire service, run the following commands. Prefix sudo if you running them from your user account

Stop
Code:
systemctl stop skywire

Restart
Code:
systemctl restart skywire

1.skynode_start.sh and 2.skynode_stop.sh can be used separately to start and stop skywire from a terminal window if you don't want to go the systemd route

Done

Attached Files
.sh   2.skynode_stop.sh (Size: 133 bytes / Downloads: 34)
.zip   skywire-system-files.zip (Size: 764 bytes / Downloads: 33)
.sh   1.skynode_start.sh (Size: 416 bytes / Downloads: 16)
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to skyguy for this post:
  • 1draven, DeltaCrypto, jaggedsoft, masalie
What's the difference between this and running the orangepi version?
(12-24-2017, 06:36 PM)Bakez Wrote: What's the difference between this and running the orangepi version?

No difference from what I can tell. The skywire network is still under development, so you can't connect to other nodes at the moment
Does running this node generate skycoins? Or does it only help the network with something?
(01-04-2018, 06:13 PM)trader95 Wrote: Does running this node generate skycoins? Or does it only help the network with something?

Unfortunately it doesn't do anything at the moment. Skywire is in testing phase 

Once tested, we should see a new release that will allow our nodes to connect to others
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to skyguy for this post:
  • D-C
When running Skycoin (Step II.1), I receive a bunch of errors while it runs (see screenshot below).  Any idea what the problem is?  I'm running it from an orange pi.  In case it helps, I first followed the steps to run Skywire on an Orange Pi, which didn't include anything for running Skycoin.  So once I finished that up I bounced over to these instructions, made sure to set up the $GOPATH variable per the instructions, then installed and ran Skycoin.  

[Image: unnamed.png]
(01-06-2018, 11:27 PM)D-C Wrote: When running Skycoin (Step II.1), I receive a bunch of errors while it runs (see screenshot below).  Any idea what the problem is?  I'm running it from an orange pi.  In case it helps, I first followed the steps to run Skywire on an Orange Pi, which didn't include anything for running Skycoin.  So once I finished that up I bounced over to these instructions, made sure to set up the $GOPATH variable per the instructions, then installed and ran Skycoin.  

[Image: unnamed.png]

Looks good. Those "unspent" errors are normal.

What happens when you open a browser to that IP and port?
Unfortunately that's where I'm stuck.  From a Windows desktop, when I enter http://server_ip:6420 it says the server's ip address could not be found:

[Image: tulwg.png]

best free image hosting
(01-07-2018, 04:35 PM)D-C Wrote: Unfortunately that's where I'm stuck.  From a Windows desktop, when I enter http://server_ip:6420 it says the server's ip address could not be found:

[Image: tulwg.png]

best free image hosting

Did you read this part?

**It's not possible to connect to the linux skycoin wallet from a windows desktop. For the purpose of testing, the following modification enables access but prevents you from adding a wallet or using any of the other functions available. Not an issue if you don't plan on using the linux wallet. It also won't affect the skywire node in any way

Code:
Code:
vi $GOPATH/src/github.com/skycoin/skycoin/cmd/skycoin/skycoin.go

Now search for the first 127.0.0.1 entry by pressing /127.0.0.1 (Enter). Update 127.0.0.1 to your server IP or 0.0.0.0 and write and quit (wq)

// Remote web interface
        WebInterface:             true,
        WebInterfacePort:         6420,
        WebInterfaceAddr:         "192.168.1.14",
        WebInterfaceCert:         "",
        WebInterfaceKey:          "",
        WebInterfaceHTTPS:        false,
        PrintWebInterfaceAddress: false,
I wouldn't worry about the wallet fix if you only want to access the skywire node

For that you need to run the following two commands in seperate gitbash windows

Window 1
cd $GOPATH/bin
./manager -web-dir ${GOPATH}/src/github.com/skycoin/skywire/static/skywire-manager

Window 2
cd $GOPATH/bin
./node -connect-manager -manager-address :5998 -manager-web :8000 -discovery-address discovery.skycoin.net:5999-034b1cd4ebad163e457fb805b3ba43779958bba49f2c5e1e8b062482904bacdb68  -address :5000 -web-port :6001

After that open a browser to http://ServerIP:8000
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to skyguy for this post:
  • D-C