Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configure Skywire Node on Ubuntu Server
Ive never used linux before, but want to reformat my laptop and use it as a node once skywire is up and running until the parts list for skyminer v2 is out. Is there any specific version of linux i should install? Also, if i want to dual boot into windows is there a specific order i have to install it in?
(01-09-2018, 06:43 AM)JayBee Wrote: Ive never used linux before, but want to reformat my laptop and use it as a node once skywire is up and running until the parts list for skyminer v2 is out. Is there any specific version of linux i should install? Also, if i want to dual boot into windows is there a specific order i have to install it in?

You've made a wise decision  Wink

Make two partitions and install windows first. After finishing the windows setup, install Ubuntu (I personally use Ubuntu 16.04)

Here is a good guide for dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-1...dual-boot/
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to skyguy for this post:
  • JayBee
skyguy back at it again with the helpfulness. TYVM Big Grin
(01-08-2018, 07:18 AM)skyguy Wrote: I wouldn't worry about the wallet fix if you only want to access the skywire node

For that, you need to run the following two commands in seperate windows

Window 1
cd $GOPATH/bin
./manager -web-dir ${GOPATH}/src/github.com/skycoin/skywire/static/skywire-manager

Window 2
cd $GOPATH/bin
./manager -web-dir ${GOPATH}/src/github.com/skycoin/skywire/static/skywire-manager

After that, open a browser to http://ServerIP:8000

Thanks Skyguy!  One correction in case somebody else tries it - I think in Window 2, the command should be:
Code:
cd $GOPATH/bin
./node -connect-manager -manager-address :5998 -manager-web :8000 -discovery-address discovery.skycoin.net:5999-034b1cd4ebad163e457fb805b3ba43779958bba49f2c5e1e8b062482904bacdb68  -address :5000 -web-port :6001

I entered the browser address in this format: 192.168.1.14/8000/#/  and everything is working now.  Thanks to Mitja Gomboc and Skyguy for the tutorials!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to D-C for this post:
  • skyguy
(01-14-2018, 05:57 PM)D-C Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 07:18 AM)skyguy Wrote: I wouldn't worry about the wallet fix if you only want to access the skywire node

For that, you need to run the following two commands in seperate windows

Window 1
cd $GOPATH/bin

Window 2
cd $GOPATH/bin

After that, open a browser to http://ServerIP:8000

Thanks Skyguy!  One correction in case somebody else tries it - I think in Window 2, the command should be:
Code:
cd $GOPATH/bin
./node -connect-manager -manager-address :5998 -manager-web :8000 -discovery-address messenger.skycoin.net:5999 -address :5000 -web-port :6001

I entered the browser address in this format: 192.168.1.14/8000/#/  and everything is working now.  Thanks to Mitja Gomboc and Skyguy for the tutorials!

Copy Paste error. Corrected. Thanks for pointing it out  Thumbsup
i got the node up and running and i can see it at 127.0.0.1:8000/#/ but are we also supposed to be able to connect to it with our public ip & port 6000?
(01-05-2018, 09:47 AM)skyguy Wrote:
(01-04-2018, 06:13 PM)trader95 Wrote: Does running this node generate skycoins? Or does it only help the network with something?

Unfortunately it doesn't do anything at the moment. Skywire is in testing phase 

Once tested, we should see a new release that will allow our nodes to connect to others

Can you share anything regarding the timeline (just generally, do I need to think in terms of days/weeks/months)?
(01-17-2018, 08:37 AM)Timonius Wrote:
(01-05-2018, 09:47 AM)skyguy Wrote:
(01-04-2018, 06:13 PM)trader95 Wrote: Does running this node generate skycoins? Or does it only help the network with something?

Unfortunately it doesn't do anything at the moment. Skywire is in testing phase 

Once tested, we should see a new release that will allow our nodes to connect to others

Can you share anything regarding the timeline (just generally, do I need to think in terms of days/weeks/months)?

I'm going to email the team this week. Will try get an ETA for everyone
Great write up, thanks! I had trouble on the linux wallet section - I could not alter the IP to change it to my own IP any idea what I was doing wrong?

Also, how will we link our nodes to our wallet to collect coin rewards once main net is running?

Last thing - I was doing this via ssh on terminal so couldnt view in a browser, would that matter?

Thanks again,

Matt
I'm on the boat too, now. I'm very exited. This post was very helpfull for me, thank you a lot!!!

But I have a question. In my skywire monitor the situation is this
[Image: skywire.jpg]

is it normal? It shows "started", not "send" and "recv"