Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long is the whitelist process?
Did some light searching but couldn't really find an answer for this. I have a 7 node SoPine cluster on the Pine Dev board, so not an official skyminer but matches hardware specs (just couldn't afford the 1 BTC price tag on the official miners). Just finished setup and config using a modified version of the SkyPeople scripts (great guide btw click link for details) and have submitted my whitelist application to the skycoin project for approval. My question, for those of you who have gone through this process already, how long did it take to get your nodes whitelisted? I'm assuming official skyminers get priority over 3rd party miners but I'm guessing there's still a bunch of you 3rd party miner guys out there.
(07-07-2018, 06:34 PM)ashtono7 Wrote: Did some light searching but couldn't really find an answer for this. I have a 7 node SoPine cluster on the Pine Dev board, so not an official skyminer but matches hardware specs (just couldn't afford the 1 BTC price tag on the official miners). Just finished setup and config using a modified version of the SkyPeople scripts (great guide btw click link for details) and have submitted my whitelist application to the skycoin project for approval. My question, for those of you who have gone through this process already, how long did it take to get your nodes whitelisted? I'm assuming official skyminers get priority over 3rd party miners but I'm guessing there's still a bunch of you 3rd party miner guys out there.

All officials are whitelisted automatically.  There are about 350 official miners, the rest of the live nodes are all DIY's. Make sure your able to find your nodes here http://discovery.skycoin.net:8001/#/

They are whitelisting 50 miners per week. A miner consisting of 1 to 8 nodes.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to I Am You for this post:
  • ashtono7
(07-08-2018, 04:31 PM)I Am You Wrote:
(07-07-2018, 06:34 PM)ashtono7 Wrote: Did some light searching but couldn't really find an answer for this. I have a 7 node SoPine cluster on the Pine Dev board, so not an official skyminer but matches hardware specs (just couldn't afford the 1 BTC price tag on the official miners). Just finished setup and config using a modified version of the SkyPeople scripts (great guide btw click link for details) and have submitted my whitelist application to the skycoin project for approval. My question, for those of you who have gone through this process already, how long did it take to get your nodes whitelisted? I'm assuming official skyminers get priority over 3rd party miners but I'm guessing there's still a bunch of you 3rd party miner guys out there.

All officials are whitelisted automatically.  There are about 350 official miners, the rest of the live nodes are all DIY's. Make sure your able to find your nodes here http://discovery.skycoin.net:8001/#/

Thanks for the info, I checked the discovery page and couldn't find my miners. Turns out the discovery address I used in the scripts was outdated. I updated them from the web manager and they are showing up in the discovery page now. 2 more questions. Will the new discovery address remain persistent through reboots and if not, where can I go to update the discovery address on the secondary nodes? And I submitted my whitelist application about 10 days ago, do you think it is worthwhile to resubmit the application?
(07-09-2018, 02:50 PM)ashtono7 Wrote:

Thanks for the info, I checked the discovery page and couldn't find my miners. Turns out the discovery address I used in the scripts was outdated. I updated them from the web manager and they are showing up in the discovery page now. 2 more questions. Will the new discovery address remain persistent through reboots and if not, where can I go to update the discovery address on the secondary nodes? And I submitted my whitelist application about 10 days ago, do you think it is worthwhile to resubmit the application?

Glad you checked and sorted that out. Smile

If you have set the Discovery address on all nodes (You will have to set it on each node 1 by 1) it should stay. If it resets on reboot let me know and we can arrange to fix that. (I recommend doing a reboot when you have some time on 1 or 2 nodes to check)

It should not affect your Node Keys but there is no harm in resubmitting your application. It wont affect your pace in the Que, it will just update your info.

Been saving up some cash to build a Sopine cluster to help people whom are running one. How do you find it? Been wanting to recommend them to people but had no experience, they are quite cost effective iirc.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to I Am You for this post:
  • ashtono7
(07-10-2018, 07:55 PM)I Am You Wrote:

If you have set the Discovery address on all nodes (You will have to set it on each node 1 by 1) it should stay. If it resets on reboot let me know and we can arrange to fix that. (I recommend doing a reboot when you have some time on 1 or 2 nodes to check)

It should not affect your Node Keys but there is no harm in resubmitting your application. It wont affect your pace in the Que, it will just update your info.

Been saving up some cash to build a Sopine cluster to help people whom are running one. How do you find it? Been wanting to recommend them to people but had no experience, they are quite cost effective iirc.
A buddy of mine, who I'm currently mining ethereum with, introduced me to the skywire project about a month ago and I really liked what I saw. It seemed like they had figured out a lot of the problems plaguing to current top cryptocurrencies so we decided to dive in. I looked at the official skyminers but missed round 1 sales and literally couldn't afford the 1 BTC price tag (even though I know you get most of it back in skycoin) so I started looking into DYI miners. I decided raspberry pis were probably the best option and had all the components and supplies spec'ed out and ready to order and then my friend sent me a link to Christian Ott's blog. He outlines how to setup a DIY miner using the sopine boards and even has a link to a nice looking 3D printable case. I had never heard of the pine boards before but decided to give it a try because it dropped the price, and work involved, considerably. 

To do it you'll need the development board (which is kind of hard to find on their site), an A64 board for setting static IPs and handling initial setup (also comes with 1 sopine), and then 6 more sopine chips. The development board is pretty awesome because it has a 8 port switch builtin so less to buy. But since it is an 8 port switch and 1 port is on the board itself, you only get 7 slots for the sopine but no big issue there. We each wanted to build a 7 cluster node so we ordered double quantities of everything.

One thing I have to say is the customer support for the pine products nearly gave me a heart attack. Apparently when I ordered, there was a production shortage on a part for the development boards. The manufacturer never mentioned this after my purchase. I knew the parts were coming from China so I was patient, but 2 weeks in I started getting a little antsy and emailed the support/sales email a few times looking for tracking or shipping status information. No reply on any email and at 3 weeks from purchase I was starting to freak out a bit since I had dropped a sizable amount of money and had nothing to show for it. I sent a final email to every email address I could scrape off their website and sales receipt. It basically said if I didn't hear from them by end of business Hong Kong time the next local business day I would have to file a claim with Paypal and ask for a refund. They responded immediately and finally informed me about the production shortage... To their credit though, they said the parts were finally in and orders were, conveniently, starting to ship that day. They sent mine China Post to Hong Kong and then DHL next day international. Big kudos to them for that, I can't imaging how much the shipping must have been on that one.

Anyways, after that I downloaded the custom Armbian Xenial image for the sopines and used TheSKYpeople's guide and scripts for the install and configuration. The scripts were a great launching point but I didn't want to use their IP addressing scheme for my network and since it was created to run on an early version of the test net, there were some problems that I had to sort through and make modifications for. Perfect example is, I didn't really understand the "discovery address" concept and the scripts to point to an old discovery address (which is how this thread started lol). It kind of reminds me of when I decided to build my first eth mining rig. You can read about all this stuff as much as you want online but until you decide to take the plunge and dive head first, a lot of the information might as well be Greek. Another thing I encountered problems with was on a first run, Linux is doing a lot of things in the background and certain processes are tied up which leads to errors in the execution of the script (which doesn't really let you know something went wrong either). I aslo noticed some funky urls on a couple of the wget commands so I decided to download the files locally (from the legit sources) and ran each script individually on each node. This helped things make more sense too as I really got under the hood on the installation process.

I was thinking about this the other night but I would really like to use those scripts as a launching point and make some improvements to the process (user input for custom IP ranges, error reporting and minor resolution for script execution errors, and configuring the launch scripts to autorun at reboot in the event of a power failure). I thought it might be a great idea but didn't really want to try to tackle it alone. If you, or anyone else, might be interested in setting something up I could go ahead and make a new post and see if we can get a small group together to make something for the community. It has the potential to work across several pi brands since they are basically running the same OS.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ashtono7 for this post:
  • I Am You
(07-10-2018, 09:52 PM)ashtono7 Wrote:

A buddy of mine, who I'm currently mining ethereum with, introduced me to the skywire project about a month ago and I really liked what I saw. It seemed like they had figured out a lot of the problems plaguing to current top cryptocurrencies so we decided to dive in. I looked at the official skyminers but missed round 1 sales and literally couldn't afford the 1 BTC price tag (even though I know you get most of it back in skycoin) so I started looking into DYI miners. I decided raspberry pis were probably the best option and had all the components and supplies spec'ed out and ready to order and then my friend sent me a link to Christian Ott's blog. He outlines how to setup a DIY miner using the sopine boards and even has a link to a nice looking 3D printable case. I had never heard of the pine boards before but decided to give it a try because it dropped the price, and work involved, considerably. 

To do it you'll need the development board (which is kind of hard to find on their site), an A64 board for setting static IPs and handling initial setup (also comes with 1 sopine), and then 6 more sopine chips. The development board is pretty awesome because it has a 8 port switch builtin so less to buy. But since it is an 8 port switch and 1 port is on the board itself, you only get 7 slots for the sopine but no big issue there. We each wanted to build a 7 cluster node so we ordered double quantities of everything.

One thing I have to say is the customer support for the pine products nearly gave me a heart attack. Apparently when I ordered, there was a production shortage on a part for the development boards. The manufacturer never mentioned this after my purchase. I knew the parts were coming from China so I was patient, but 2 weeks in I started getting a little antsy and emailed the support/sales email a few times looking for tracking or shipping status information. No reply on any email and at 3 weeks from purchase I was starting to freak out a bit since I had dropped a sizable amount of money and had nothing to show for it. I sent a final email to every email address I could scrape off their website and sales receipt. It basically said if I didn't hear from them by end of business Hong Kong time the next local business day I would have to file a claim with Paypal and ask for a refund. They responded immediately and finally informed me about the production shortage... To their credit though, they said the parts were finally in and orders were, conveniently, starting to ship that day. They sent mine China Post to Hong Kong and then DHL next day international. Big kudos to them for that, I can't imaging how much the shipping must have been on that one.

Anyways, after that I downloaded the custom Armbian Xenial image for the sopines and used TheSKYpeople's guide and scripts for the install and configuration. The scripts were a great launching point but I didn't want to use their IP addressing scheme for my network and since it was created to run on an early version of the test net, there were some problems that I had to sort through and make modifications for. Perfect example is, I didn't really understand the "discovery address" concept and the scripts to point to an old discovery address (which is how this thread started lol). It kind of reminds me of when I decided to build my first eth mining rig. You can read about all this stuff as much as you want online but until you decide to take the plunge and dive head first, a lot of the information might as well be Greek. Another thing I encountered problems with was on a first run, Linux is doing a lot of things in the background and certain processes are tied up which leads to errors in the execution of the script (which doesn't really let you know something went wrong either). I aslo noticed some funky urls on a couple of the wget commands so I decided to download the files locally (from the legit sources) and ran each script individually on each node. This helped things make more sense too as I really got under the hood on the installation process.

I was thinking about this the other night but I would really like to use those scripts as a launching point and make some improvements to the process (user input for custom IP ranges, error reporting and minor resolution for script execution errors, and configuring the launch scripts to autorun at reboot in the event of a power failure). I thought it might be a great idea but didn't really want to try to tackle it alone. If you, or anyone else, might be interested in setting something up I could go ahead and make a new post and see if we can get a small group together to make something for the community. It has the potential to work across several pi brands since they are basically running the same OS.

Thanks for the informative Post! I am currently working on building images that are preset up and ready to go. I dont plan on running any background scripts in them and allow users to add those manaually as from what I can see custom startup scripts do not seem to age well. I don't see a problem working on something like that though, you may find more people willing to help out in either the Discord or the Telegram rather than here to be honest. ^-^

When you said a board is needed for initial setup did you mean to send this one? https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=1194 would a single sopine baseboard not work?
(07-11-2018, 09:37 AM)I Am You Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 09:52 PM)ashtono7 Wrote:
(07-08-2018, 04:31 PM)I Am You Wrote: All officials are whitelisted automatically.  There are about 350 official miners, the rest of the live nodes are all DIY's. Make sure your able to find your nodes here http://discovery.skycoin.net:8001/#/

Thanks for the informative Post! I am currently working on building images that are preset up and ready to go. I dont plan on running any background scripts in them and allow users to add those manaually as from what I can see custom startup scripts do not seem to age well. I don't see a problem working on something like that though, you may find more people willing to help out in either the Discord or the Telegram rather than here to be honest. ^-^

When you said a board is needed for initial setup did you mean to send this one? https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=1194 would a single sopine baseboard not work?

Sorry for the delay in response. The image is a good idea and you are correct, scripts age poorly. As for the link you sent me, you could buy 8 of those and make a node but you would need a 5 volt power supply. The link you provided would be most similar to the official miner. That being said I really liked the sopines becuase they are bare bone and scaled down. I have included pictures to show size and what I am talking about. Sopine chip next to credit card sized gift card for size reference.
[Image: 20180711_075959.jpg]

[Image: 20180711_080026.jpg]

As you can see they are absolutely tiny. That's because they are scaled down and have no ports or headers for peripherals (which you don't really need) literally just memory, RAM, and CPU on a chip. The sopines are slightly cheaper but require the purchase of a development board ($99) but the upside is that you can buy a micro ITX case and an off-the-shelf power adapter instead of a 5 volt power supply and wiring and expensive modular framing. You also don't need to buy a switch since the development board has an 8 port switch built in. All in all, I thought the sopines would take up less space and require fewer extra parts purchases. Pictures of the assembled miner below.  

[Image: 20180628_225707.jpg]

The sopine baseboard is used for initial startup, creating root password, creating user account, and assigning static IPs. Each sopine chip plugs into the sopine baseboard like a laptop RAM chip and the sopine baseboard has all the extra peripherals on it that the Pine A64 board (the link you mentioned) has. After assigning a static IP to the sopine, you plug the sopine chip into the development board and handle eveything else remote through SSH. The only major complaint I have had is that in order to do a proper reboot you have to manually take the chip out of the socket or unplug the entire unit. The development board seems to be extremely limited and the sopines can initiate the shutdown process but can't signal the development board to stop supplying them with power. This probably has something to do with 7 chips running on one board. This problem does not happen on the sopine baseboard. I have an idea for a workaround. I purchased 2 wifi-enabled smart outlets on amazon prime day today (what a blunder) and have openvpn on my router. In the future if I need to cycle power to the nodes I should be able to vpn in and cycle power to the outlet for either miner. I'll let you know how that works.
Thank you for your detailed reply!