Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
In anticipation of a thorough DIY miner tutorial... dummy questions and suggestions
My tech ignorance may not be a good representation of the average new sky miner builder.  Hopefully some questions in this thread may inform future DIY miner tutorials, FAQs, and possibly node software UI design...  I may be naive but my hope is that novices with some basic skills/aptitudes won't be too intimidated to grow the project.

What is a list of basic skills I will need to build and operate a miner?  PC building experience?  Familiarity with Github?  Command line and networking basics? Experience flashing router firmware? (How do I know if I'm ready to buy the parts?  Possible disclaimer?)

Some basic terminology unique to Skywire (for those experienced with mining other coins, and maybe those that aren't)?

General performance comparison of a miner built to spec compared to running a node from my laptop, office pc, or gaming PC?

Options for future-proofing hardware (building over "spec")?

Please offer your questions.  I didn't intend for this to be a Q&A, but by all means, offer answers if you feel so inclined.

Just using my ignorance as an example - I consider myself computer literate, and the instruction in the tutorial "setup $GOPATH env" without an explanation makes me sweat.
It's possible this endeavor is completely above my paygrade but I'm still hopeful that any aspiring geek like myself can get this going with a hand-holding tutorial. I'm aware said tutorial doesn't exist yet. Please feel free to offer examples of your own ignorance in the spirit of informing tutorial makers.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Laughmore for this post:
  • m.polapria
Quote:What is a list of basic skills I will need to build and operate a miner?  PC building experience?  Familiarity with Github?  Command line and networking basics? Experience flashing router firmware? (How do I know if I'm ready to buy the parts?  Possible disclaimer?)

I think is a little more complex ehan PC building experience. It require wire work and some electricity experience, but nothing that some person in the field can't solve. (maybe ask for help from a local electricity guy)

About github part, if you follow the instructions provided, you should me fine.

I am sure someone will make a video or 10 soon. Is early phase anyway.

If you want to be sure you are through first miners, prepare with 8 orange pi (they are 100% sure and can't be founded in other stores) from here: https://sites.google.com/view/skycoin-mi...wire-parts . Rest of parts you can buy later from your local stores.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Mihai for this post:
  • Laughmore, skyforger, Soutron
(01-05-2018, 11:01 AM)Mihai Wrote:
Quote:What is a list of basic skills I will need to build and operate a miner?  PC building experience?  Familiarity with Github?  Command line and networking basics? Experience flashing router firmware? (How do I know if I'm ready to buy the parts?  Possible disclaimer?)

I think is a little more complex ehan PC building experience. It require wire work and some electricity experience, but nothing that some person in the field can't solve. (maybe ask for help from a local electricity guy)

If you want to be sure you are through first miners, prepare with 8 orange pi (they are 100% sure and can't be founded in other stores) from here: https://sites.google.com/view/skycoin-mi...wire-parts . Rest of parts you can buy later from your local stores.

Thanks for the reply Muhai.  I have the experience with the wiring, and it's a good thing for me and those like me to have a vid coming out soon Smile I'm just hoping tutorial makers see my post and remember how bad some of us will need some hand-holding.  I really want this network to be as functional, robust, expansive, and accessible as possible!

All the best to you.
(01-06-2018, 12:02 AM)Laughmore Wrote:

Thanks for the reply Muhai.  I have the experience with the wiring, and it's a good thing for me and those like me to have a vid coming out soon Smile I'm just hoping tutorial makers see my post and remember how bad some of us will need some hand-holding.  I really want this network to be as functional, robust, expansive, and accessible as possible!

All the best to you.

I have very similar questions. Would be great to get a literal step by step guide without assumptions of previous knowledge...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lancek for this post:
  • Laughmore
Very interested in this. Would love to mine Skycoin but not in a position to throw 1 BTC at the default Skywire miner.
(01-08-2018, 04:56 PM)skyforger Wrote: Very interested in this. Would love to mine Skycoin but not in a position to throw 1 BTC at the default Skywire miner.

It's possible to build a skywire node on windows, linux and OSX

See this thread for info -> https://skywug.net/forum/Forum-Mining

**Won't generate any rewards but will get you prepared for when skywire is live
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to skyguy for this post:
  • skyforger

Will 8 orange pi definitely be required? Would a 4x orange Pi setup be enough to allow mining?
(01-12-2018, 02:29 PM)Soutron Wrote:

Will 8 orange pi definitely be required? Would a 4x orange Pi setup be enough to allow mining?

4x would work.  It depends on your internet bandwidth. The 8x setup is designed for a 1 Gb connection.
(01-18-2018, 06:17 AM)ttlk Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 02:29 PM)Soutron Wrote:

4x would work.  It depends on your internet bandwidth. The 8x setup is designed for a 1 Gb connection.

Right now this is speculation, there's been a lot of speculation going on, and I'd just like people to know that I don't think we'll have exact numbers until we put the testnet through it's stresses. The amount of traffic you Can handle will also be impacted by CPU and possibly ram.
(01-08-2018, 05:11 PM)skyguy Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 04:56 PM)skyforger Wrote: Very interested in this. Would love to mine Skycoin but not in a position to throw 1 BTC at the default Skywire miner.

It's possible to build a skywire node on windows, linux and OSX

See this thread for info -> https://skywug.net/forum/Forum-Mining

**Won't generate any rewards but will get you prepared for when skywire is live

Get us prepared in what ways, precisely? Would you expand on this? In a technical sense to familiarize ourselves with how running a node will work certainly, but specifically will there ever be coin reward incentives for running nodes on Windows, Linux, or OSX?