Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first milestone as a Skywire Node :)
Wink 
[Image: ZNUDwck.jpg]

Hello guys,

Eight days ago I finally configured a Skywire Node, so when the testnet goes live I will be immediately contributing to a "New Internet".
I wanted to share my first 100KB-milestone with you guys and I hope much more TBs will come.

Heart  Coinboyy  Heart
[Image: EVomGMl.jpg]
Donate? -> KYNYC4sV3xtmku77QMXmav2ZSqEujDbEVa
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CoinBoyy for this post:
  • djskinner
(01-16-2018, 02:32 PM)CoinBoyy Wrote: [Image: ZNUDwck.jpg]

Hello guys,

Eight days ago I finally configured a Skywire Node, so when the testnet goes live I will be immediately contributing to a "New Internet".
I wanted to share my first 100KB-milestone with you guys and I hope much more TBs will come.

Heart  Coinboyy  Heart

Welcome to the club  Cool Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to skyguy for this post:
  • CoinBoyy

Hello guys,

Heart  Coinboyy  Heart

Hmm, how do I start doing this?  Is there any description online?

I have a DIY skyminer now but I want to upgrade it to a Skywire node so that I can get familiar with the technology.
(08-08-2018, 08:56 AM)ingwa Wrote:

Hello guys,

Heart  Coinboyy  Heart

I have a DIY skyminer now but I want to upgrade it to a Skywire node so that I can get familiar with the technology.

A DIY Skyminer is made up of nodes. If you can explain better what it is that you wanna know what to do I can try and point you the in the direction. Most of the pinned topics here: https://skywug.net/forum/Forum-Skywire are to do with building a DIY miner
(08-08-2018, 08:52 PM)I Am You Wrote:

Hello guys,

Heart  Coinboyy  Heart

A DIY Skyminer is made up of nodes. If you can explain better what it is that you wanna know what to do I can try and point you the in the direction. Most of the pinned topics here: https://skywug.net/forum/Forum-Skywire are to do with building a DIY miner

Well...  my DIY Skyminer has a manager with a web interface.  But when I look at the Node List page, I don't see anything like he has with 'Send' and 'Receive' columns.  I have since done a little more research, and read that a Skyminer and a Skywire Node is not the same thing.

But I am still not sure what I need to do differently to make my setup a Skywire Node.  Can I share them on the same cluster, or do I need a separate cluster for the Skywire Node?  I have a couple of Raspberry Pis over from my miner so I can do that and start to get things rolling.  And I am also interested in setting up an antenna once they get ready.

Another question is how to use the Skywire Node as an actual user.  Do I need a special client software or is it enough to connect to the WiFi provided by the antenna?  And how is the payment transferred to the node operator? I read that using it would be paid by Coin Hours. 

These are my questions, and I am aware that some of them may be quite off because of some fundamental misunderstanding.  I want to learn more and experiment with both the software and hardware.
(08-08-2018, 11:31 PM)ingwa Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 08:52 PM)I Am You Wrote:

Hello guys,

Heart  Coinboyy  Heart

Well...  my DIY Skyminer has a manager with a web interface.  But when I look at the Node List page, I don't see anything like he has with 'Send' and 'Receive' columns.  I have since done a little more research, and read that a Skyminer and a Skywire Node is not the same thing.

But I am still not sure what I need to do differently to make my setup a Skywire Node.  Can I share them on the same cluster, or do I need a separate cluster for the Skywire Node?  I have a couple of Raspberry Pis over from my miner so I can do that and start to get things rolling.  And I am also interested in setting up an antenna once they get ready.

Another question is how to use the Skywire Node as an actual user.  Do I need a special client software or is it enough to connect to the WiFi provided by the antenna?  And how is the payment transferred to the node operator? I read that using it would be paid by Coin Hours. 

These are my questions, and I am aware that some of them may be quite off because of some fundamental misunderstanding.  I want to learn more and experiment with both the software and hardware.

Thats a lot of information let me break it down and answer as best I can.

Quote:Well...  my DIY Skyminer has a manager with a web interface.  But when I look at the Node List page, I don't see anything like he has with 'Send' and 'Receive' columns.

That's a much older version of the interface. You can see how to tell that information like that in each nodes menu now. it will only appear if your connected to another node or if they are connected to you

[Image: 1*OKnyBoJGw_GSRSr12IIKVw.png]

Quote:I have since done a little more research, and read that a Skyminer and a Skywire Node is not the same thing.

You are correct in a way. A Skyminer is a device consisting of Skywire nodes. Its like a car and Tires. A Tire is not the same as a Car but a Car needs to have tires to be a car. These nodes are what do the work but the grouping of them is what is called a Skyminer or a Skywire Miner.

Quote:Another question is how to use the Skywire Node as an actual user.  Do I need a special client software or is it enough to connect to the WiFi provided by the antenna?  

Currently with the current level of the software a Skywire nodes is acting as a golified VPN. Soon it will run as a Tor like solution and then antennas are the step after that. But for now its just a VPN really. If you want to know how to use it as one I have done a Medium Article here: https://medium.com/@Zanshi/skywire-as-a-...047d93ef54

Quote:And how is the payment transferred to the node operator? I read that using it would be paid by Coin Hours.
Soon each node will have its own metering and billing solution built in. As of right now that's not operational and you can use any part of the network for free as long as your running a node.

I hope I managed to answer any questions you have. If I missed something let me know Smile
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to I Am You for this post:
  • ingwa
Thanks a lot. I think you managed to answer everything, except:

- How do I get my nodes connected to another node?

But then I have a different question: How do I get involved in development? I am a quite experienced software developer that have worked with Open Source all my active life since before 1990. I have never actually programmed in golang, but I already know around 15 programming languages so I don't expect to have any problems. I have yet to find any design document that outlines on a technical level which components that are in the system, what they are supposed to do and status information about what needs to be done next.

Skycoin bounties would be nice, but aren't necessary. (I can also do professional work if you me to follow real schedules and deadlines, but then I'd have to actually get paid for real.) Smile
(08-09-2018, 07:57 PM)ingwa Wrote: Thanks a lot.  I think you managed to answer everything, except:

- How do I get my nodes connected to another node?

But then I have a different question: How do I get involved in development? I am a quite experienced software developer that have worked with Open Source all my active life since before 1990. I have never actually programmed in golang, but I already know around 15 programming languages so I don't expect to have any problems. I have yet to find any design document that outlines on a technical level which components that are in the system, what they are supposed to do and status information about what needs to be done next.

Skycoin bounties would be nice, but aren't necessary.  (I can also do professional work if you me to follow real schedules and deadlines, but then I'd have to actually get paid for real.) Smile

I linked you to a guide I did on how to connect one node to another: https://medium.com/@Zanshi/skywire-as-a-...047d93ef54

If you want to apply to join the team you can here: https://www.skycoin.net/jobs/
The whole project is on github and you are free to contribute where possible. You will get better info for this on the telegram where actual Devs and Staff are active: https://t.me/Skycoin

EDIT:
I should add a note here: I'm more volunteer staff so I'm not an official staff member. fyi
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to I Am You for this post:
  • ingwa