Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Necessary to use OpenWRT Giga Router?
Hi

I am a newbie to this and planning to setup one DIY Miner

but I have a few questions and it will be great if anyone can help me to clear my doughts 

# is it necessary to use OpenWRT Giga Router or can i use my home router TP-LINK TL-MR3220 3G/4G Wireless N Router?

# is there any minimum internet speed requirement?

# how much monthly internet data (GB/month) is required? 

# instead of raspberry pi is it possible to setup nods on multiple windows based thin client? 

please advise

Thanks
(11-13-2018, 03:11 PM)same1116 Wrote: Hi

but I have a few questions and it will be great if anyone can help me to clear my doughts 

# is it necessary to use OpenWRT Giga Router or can i use my home router TP-LINK TL-MR3220 3G/4G Wireless N Router?

# instead of raspberry pi is it possible to setup nods on multiple windows based thin client? 

please advise

Thanks

Welcome and I am happy to help

1 No, an OpenWRT router is more of a want than a need.

2. There is and there will be no speed Requirements at all

3. No monthly bandwithlimit usage is required.

4. The approved hardware is https://github.com/skycoin/skywire/blob/...d#hardware as long as its in the approved list your okay

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have anymore please let me know Smile
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to I Am You for this post:
  • same1116
(11-13-2018, 04:24 PM)I Am You Wrote:

please advise

Thanks

4. The approved hardware is https://github.com/skycoin/skywire/blob/...d#hardware as long as its in the approved list your okay

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have anymore please let me know Smile

Thank you so much for your kind response

If you don't mind I have a few more questions 

# what i understand is that there won't be an issue if i use my home router even if don't support OpenWRT am i correct?

# regarding hardware is there any benchmarking details available to select the best hardware based on performance and profits

# whats the exact difference between the Official miner and DIY miner? 

Please advise

Thanks
(11-13-2018, 06:27 PM)same1116 Wrote:

please advise

Thanks

# what i understand is that there won't be an issue if i use my home router even if don't support OpenWRT am i correct?

# regarding hardware is there any benchmarking details available to select the best hardware based on performance and profits

Please advise

Thanks

No problem ask away.

1. Yep, your home router will work fine!

2. No, currently a node is a node. Be it an Asus tinkerboard or a Pi Zero. Rewards are air dropped and come mainnet will be bandwidth limited

3. Officals help support the project so are more "Profitable" as they get a specific chunk of the airdrop. Other than that they are the same.
  • same1116
(11-13-2018, 07:25 PM)I Am You Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 06:27 PM)same1116 Wrote:

please advise

Thanks

Please advise

Thanks

No problem ask away.

1. Yep, your home router will work fine!

2. No, currently a node is a node. Be it an Asus tinkerboard or a Pi Zero. Rewards are air dropped and come mainnet will be bandwidth limited

3. Officals help support the project so are more "Profitable" as they get a specific chunk of the airdrop. Other than that they are the same.

thank you so much for your kind response and cooperation  

>>sorry, i am little confused actually, i was planning to create a DIY with Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ so is it a good choice for current bandwidth including coming mainnet limitation?

>> if there is no differences in preformation (based on board models) then is it ok to go with Raspberry Pi 1B+ because there is no option for LAN connection on Pi Zero board

Thanks
Update:

>> Are you talking about Orange Pi Zero or Raspberry Pi Zero?

>>sorry, i am little confused actually, i was planning to create a DIY with Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ but now i am not sure to select the best hardware which can perform best on current bandwidth including coming mainnet limitation

>> is there any differences in preformation (based on brand and board models) or i can go with anyone of below boards which is available on my location?

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
Orange Pi Prime
Orange Pi One
Orange Pi One Plus
Orange Pi PC2
Orange Pi PC Plus

Orange Pi Zero (512MB)
Orange Pi PC

>>If i setup 8 cards then each will be work as a node and total rewards will be based on my total nodes (including a manager) 1+7 correct?

sorry for lots of questions Smile

Thanks
(11-14-2018, 10:17 AM)same1116 Wrote: Update:

>> Are you talking about Orange Pi Zero or Raspberry Pi Zero?

>>sorry, i am little confused actually, i was planning to create a DIY with Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ but now i am not sure to select the best hardware which can perform best on current bandwidth including coming mainnet limitation

>> is there any differences in preformation (based on brand and board models) or i can go with anyone of below boards which is available on my location?

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
Orange Pi Prime
Orange Pi One
Orange Pi One Plus
Orange Pi PC2
Orange Pi PC Plus

Orange Pi Zero (512MB)
Orange Pi PC

>>If i setup 8 cards then each will be work as a node and total rewards will be based on my total nodes (including a manager) 1+7 correct?

sorry for lots of questions Smile

Thanks

Not too sure on what you mean by your 1st Question.

No, all boards will function the same currently and come main net you will be more bandwidth limited than anything but so far as I know the airdrop as it stands will continue into main net. So if you have 1G up and down connection you will still not use even 8 raspberry pi's to their full extent. Unless you're renting out more than bandwidth so something like Processing power or maybe even some Decentralised Storage or something to that effect.

Any hardware you find here will work just fine https://github.com/skycoin/skywire/blob/...d#hardware

yeah, your nodes can only be to a cap of 8 for rewards and that's 1 manager + 7 nodes. You can build as many as you like tho. You could have a 16, 32, 164 or even more nodes. You will only get the rewards in the testnet for 8 tho
  • same1116
Thanks again for your kind response

I don't have a much technical knowledge and I am sorry for asking lots of questions

come main net you will be more bandwidth limited
>> you mean after launching of skycoin main net all profits will be decreased am i correct?

So if you have 1G up and down connection you will still not use even 8 raspberry pi's to their full extent. Unless your renting out more than bandwidth so something like Processing power or maybe even some Decentralised Stoage or something to that effect.
>> you mean my home internet connection? when i checked my net connection i am getting 6 to 8 mbps internet speed so is it ok ?

Any hardware you find here will work just fine https://github.com/skycoin/skywire/blob/...d#hardware
>> If i select a higher model with higher RAM and CPU will this help to get good rewards (compare to low config board) after main net launch? or after main net rewards will be the same even with any card?

yeah, your nodes can only be to a cap of 8 for rewards and that's 1 manager + 7 nodes. You can build as many as you like tho. You could have a 16, 32, 164 or even more nodes. 

>>didnt get this line "cap of 8 for rewards" you mean i can create my miner with 16 Pi cards will get 40+40 is that?

You will only get the rewards in the testnet for 8 tho
>> sorry, i didnt get this point

Thanks again
(11-14-2018, 12:28 PM)same1116 Wrote: Thanks again for your kind response

I don't have a much technical knowledge and I am sorry for asking lots of questions

>> you mean after launching of skycoin main net all profits will be decreased am i correct?

So if you have 1G up and down connection you will still not use even 8 raspberry pi's to their full extent. Unless your renting out more than bandwidth so something like Processing power or maybe even some Decentralised Stoage or something to that effect.
>> you mean my home internet connection? when i checked my net connection i am getting 6 to 8 mbps internet speed so is it ok ?

Any hardware you find here will work just fine https://github.com/skycoin/skywire/blob/...d#hardware
>> If i select a higher model with higher RAM and CPU will this help to get good rewards (compare to low config board) after main net launch? or after main net rewards will be the same even with any card?

yeah, your nodes can only be to a cap of 8 for rewards and that's 1 manager + 7 nodes. You can build as many as you like tho. You could have a 16, 32, 164 or even more nodes. 

>>didnt get this line "cap of 8 for rewards" you mean i can create my miner with 16 Pi cards will get 40+40 is that?

Thanks again

Feel free to keep asking. If your confused about anything I want to try and explain it in a way you can understand

No, The airdrop should continue plus you will be getting rewards for the forwarding of bandwidth.|

Yes, your rewards will be somewhat bandwidth dependant. Any speed your getting is fine but faster would be better.

I cant answer this for sure as no one fully knows just how well this will scale. In theory almost all your nodes will be doing is forwarding traffic but if you start renting out computational power or storage space or something else im not thinking of Specs may be an issue. But for the short time frame a raspberry pi 3 B should do just fine as a midranged spec node.

No, you can only Whitelist http://skycoin.net/whitelist/ a total of 8 nodes. You can run as many as you like but durning testnet you will only be rewarded for 8

Sorry I probably did not explain something. Currently Skycoin is in a Testnet phase. All nodes need to be whitelisted and those that are whitelisted get a monthly reward for reaching 75% uptime or more. Each user is allowed to whitelist a single miner (8 nodes)
  • same1116
(11-14-2018, 07:34 PM)I Am You Wrote:
(11-14-2018, 12:28 PM)same1116 Wrote: Thanks again for your kind response

Thanks again

Feel free to keep asking. If your confused about anything I want to try and explain it in a way you can understand

No, The airdrop should continue plus you will be getting rewards for the forwarding of bandwidth.|

Yes, your rewards will be somewhat bandwidth dependant. Any speed your getting is fine but faster would be better.

I cant answer this for sure as no one fully knows just how well this will scale. In theory almost all your nodes will be doing is forwarding traffic but if you start renting out computational power or storage space or something else im not thinking of Specs may be an issue. But for the short time frame a raspberry pi 3 B should do just fine as a midranged spec node.

No, you can only Whitelist http://skycoin.net/whitelist/ a total of 8 nodes. You can run as many as you like but durning testnet you will only be rewarded for 8

Sorry I probably did not explain something. Currently Skycoin is in a Testnet phase. All nodes need to be whitelisted and those that are whitelisted get a monthly reward for reaching 75% uptime or more. Each user is allowed to whitelist a single miner (8 nodes)

Thanks again for your great support

If i select a higher model with higher RAM and CPU will this help to get good rewards (compare to low config board) after main net launch? or after main net rewards will be the same even with any card?
>> I am planning for long-term so what if i go with Orange Pi Prime? i believe with this board i will be safe and effect much even after the launching of main net am i correct? 

No, you can only Whitelist http://skycoin.net/whitelist/ a total of 8 nodes. You can run as many as you like but durning testnet you will only be rewarded for 8
>> you mean each user can only get maximum rewards of 40 even if running 10 miners( 10x8=80 nodes) is that?

>> sorry, i didnt get this point
>> so at this time there is no use of creating more than one miner as i will only be rewarded for one miner (for reaching 75% uptime or more) but after mainnet, i can add more miners and will be rewarded for each am i correct?