Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Non-exit node configuration
I intend to set up a skywire node on a dedicated machine in a data-center and was wondering if it was possible to configure it to always be an intermediate node and never exit node. Those that ever had a tor exit node know why Smile

Additionally (though less important for now) is there a recomanded hardware configuration (amount of ram, cpu, etc) or at least on a budget what should I prioritize? ram, cpu or storage?
well this forum sure is deserted and pointless.....
good question! curious too.
as far as the 2nd question goes, if it runs on an orange pi or rasp pi, i don't think hardware is the limiting factor but more bandwith, but i don't know anything
(03-06-2018, 10:17 PM)dee_el_hugely Wrote: good question! curious too.
as far as the 2nd question goes, if it runs on an orange pi or rasp pi, i don't think hardware is the limiting factor but more bandwith, but i don't know anything

bump...seems too important not to have a discussion on
This is an important topic for sure, it's one thing to relay content, but to have an exit node means my IP is being flagged as the destination/source IP.

Any nefarious/illegal activities relayed by my exit node would be tagged with my IP address. Any illegal notices such as DMCA takedowns, SPAM abuse, or other more serious internet crimes could have Law Enforcement knocking on my door and seizing all my computer equipment. Not to mention this is usually a violation of my ISP's terms of service.

Exit nodes should be on commerical accounts on tor friendly ISP's.
(02-12-2018, 11:17 AM)djpitagora Wrote: I intend to set up a skywire node on a dedicated machine in a data-center and was wondering if it was possible to configure it to always be an intermediate node and never exit node. Those that ever had a tor exit node know why Smile

Additionally (though less important for now) is there a recomanded hardware configuration (amount of ram, cpu, etc) or at least on a budget what should I prioritize? ram, cpu or storage?

currently the recommend specs are:
8 hardware nodes made up of 8 Orange Pi Prime PCB boards
8+1 100Mbps router (custom 16-port OpenWRT in production)
16GB RAM (8 x 2GB DDR3)
ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
Hexa-core Mali450 GPU
LAN Bandwidth: 8 x 1000Mbps
64-bit Linux (Alpine Linux)
reference: https://www.skycoin.net/blog/statement/s...stnet-faq/

Currently Orange Pi Primes or Sopine boards are highly recommended. If your on a budget I think Raspberry Pi's are the easiest ones to work with for a relatively low cost.

Most people do 1, 2, 4 or 8 node configurations but it can be any number of nodes you like.

Currently the Tor like network function is not enabled, so they are mostly a VPN service. Thus I am unable to speak to it. I'm not sure if implementing that function would undermine the security of the overall network though, I would have thought so.
(02-12-2018, 11:17 AM)djpitagora Wrote: I intend to set up a skywire node on a dedicated machine in a data-center and was wondering if it was possible to configure it to always be an intermediate node and never exit node. Those that ever had a tor exit node know why Smile

What is the concern over running an exit node?  

I saw one post mentioning that in some countries you could be responsible for content streamed through your connection.  Is there more to it than that?