Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.71 Average
Raspberry Pi Sky Miner Setup for noobs - TESTNET READY
Hi,

First off great post! I was curious about something because im following your guidelines/equipment, except that I have raspberry Pi model B and not the plus. Will that make a difference right now, with the power consumption, or will it still be doable and ok to run.

I have standard SDcard, so I think thats fine. But I'm just checking if I have to go buy a PSU from my local store. Thanks.
(02-24-2018, 12:47 PM)adhaelon Wrote: Here's how to set up Skywire on a cluster of Raspberry Pi 3's. Huge thanks to BigOokie whose guide I relied on heavily.
Great post - thanks
What is your Mh/s please on this setup ... ?
(03-20-2018, 02:55 AM)FalconeDistrict Wrote: Hi,

First off great post! I was curious about something because im following your guidelines/equipment, except that I have raspberry Pi model B and not the plus. Will that make a difference right now, with the power consumption, or will it still be doable and ok to run.

I have standard SDcard, so I think thats fine. But I'm just checking if I have to go buy a PSU from my local store. Thanks.

Thanks man! I've figured out a much simpler process which I'll add to the guide soon. I've also written a script which starts all nodes at once remotely (saves lots of time if you ever have to reboot!)

Yeh there's no difference in the standard and micro SD cards if they are both the same specs. If you have the Raspberry Pi Model B (not Raspberry Pi '3' Model B/B+) I think the biggest concern is that it's only a 32-bit CPU... seems one of the basic requirements of the Skywire software is a 64-bit CPU. I think BigOokie has got it working on a 32 bit, but you run the risk of not getting white listed for the testnet.

In terms of power, the usb power hub will work ok.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to adhaelon for this post:
  • RGhadamian
This is amazing dude, where are you based in Australia? I’m in Melbourne looking to learn more about these skyminers but never built things like this before. Wondering if I could see your set up and learn more?
https://ameridroid.com/products/odroid-c2 maybe this is even better than rasp b+?
(03-24-2018, 03:17 AM)RGhadamian Wrote: This is amazing dude, where are you based in Australia? I’m in Melbourne looking to learn more about these skyminers but never built things like this before. Wondering if I could see your set up and learn more?

Hey thanks mate, I'm in Sydney. This is my first hardware build, but I have some experience with software which helps because that's probably the hardest part, but not really that hard once you set one or two up.

Buy the gear and don't get too hung up on the details. There's a lot of unknowns at this point, so I'd say just get started. When you do let me know and I'll help you through it.

(03-25-2018, 01:00 PM)Jkei Wrote: https://ameridroid.com/products/odroid-c2 maybe this is even better than rasp b+?

Looks good. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I'd say get one and test it.

I chose Raspberry Pi's because they're in stock everywhere and there's a ton of support documentation to help when things don't go so smoothly.
What OpenWRT routers do you recommend buying?
Yo man, such a good post! Thanks.
Any chance I could swap the raspberry pi to Orange Pi Primes and keeping all the same? I am the noobest of the noobs here so please do not mind the dumb questions. Is there anything that I need to change if I am using those? I do not even know if they are the same size to fit in that stack rack...
What build will you recomment? I went on and paid for 8 Orange Pi's Primes today on FastTech so that is the only thing that I will have so far. Could you help me on the next steps with recomandations? I liked this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/skycoin/comment...for_noobs/ and that is why I placed the order for the Primes but I am not that much of a fan of the indivitual cases+power power cords. I would do it more "miner type" and if they will become obsolete rethink after. I would appreciate your help or anyone that can provide some good info.
Tx
Great guide, thank you sir. Do you know if it's possible to use more than 8 Rpi's at the moment? or is that a coming ability in configurations?

Also, can you have multiple rigs from one router?
(03-30-2018, 06:17 PM)gfxhero Wrote: Yo man, such a good post! Thanks.
Any chance I could swap the raspberry pi to Orange Pi Primes and keeping all the same? I am the noobest of the noobs here so please do not mind the dumb questions. Is there anything that I need to change if I am using those? I do not even know if they are the same size to fit in that stack rack...
What build will you recomment? I went on and paid for 8 Orange Pi's Primes today on FastTech so that is the only thing that I will have so far. Could you help me on the next steps with recomandations? I liked this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/skycoin/comment...for_noobs/ and that is why I placed the order for the Primes but I am not that much of a fan of the indivitual cases+power power cords. I would do it more "miner type" and if they will become obsolete rethink after. I would appreciate your help or anyone that can provide some good info.
Tx

If you don't want individual cases you'll need to think about building a case similar to the official with aluminium struts and laser cut acrylic. (Not easy as you'll need to draft up the acrylic design in CAD). Or you could do something similar to this (http://climbers.net/sbc/make-laser-cut-c...tic-clips/) which would eliminate the need for struts. The rack I mentioned won't work with the Opi's as they are different dimensions, but you could just get brass standoffs and fix the boards directly together without the acrylic in between. (https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5554/1458...1664_c.jpg). Keeping in mind that if you don't want to use separate wall power adapters, the case/setup will need to accommodate a PSU like the official miner.