Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.71 Average
Raspberry Pi Sky Miner Setup for noobs - TESTNET READY
Question for OP and all others here. I see this thread (https://steemit.com/blockchain/@tetragra...ners-guide ) and he uses the Odroid 2 as well as some people are using raspberry pis and some are using Orange Pis here. Are there pros and cons to any? Im looking for the cheapest set up in canada for shipping. Im new to all this and not a really techy guy but loveeeee me some skycoin. Thanks in advance guys.
(05-04-2018, 01:07 AM)snibbertsky Wrote: Question for OP and all others here. I see this thread (https://steemit.com/blockchain/@tetragra...ners-guide ) and he uses the Odroid 2 as well as some people are using raspberry pis and some are using Orange Pis here. Are there pros and cons to any? Im looking for the cheapest set up in canada for shipping. Im new to all this and not a really techy guy but loveeeee me some skycoin. Thanks in advance guys.

Yeah there is a lot of variety in the boards that the community is using to build the miners.  Specifics like the impact of RAM, etc, haven't been determined yet since TestNet hasn't started, so as long as it's an ARM 64-bit processor it should work well enough to get involved!  My suggestion would be choose a board that you can get in your price range and that has good shipping speeds and has a good guide written for it.

The big benefit to the Orange PI boards is that the dev team has released official Linux images that can be flashed to each of the boards, but those boards are the hardest to find and have increased a lot in price, so it's probably quickest and cheapest to use another board and follow one of the community-written guides to install the software.
(05-02-2018, 12:26 PM)WhyWeSmurfing Wrote:
(02-24-2018, 12:47 PM)adhaelon Wrote: Here's how to set up Skywire on a cluster of Raspberry Pi 3's. Huge thanks to BigOokie whose guide I relied on heavily.

Equipment
  • 1 x 10 port USB Power Supply. There's a difference between a 'usb hub' and 'power supply'. EDIT: While the Raspberry Pi documentation recommends a power supply of 2.5A, there will be no peripherals connected and as such we only need around 1.3A. The Anker unit supplies 12A total, or 1.5A per Rpi. The alternative is to setup a dedicated PSU (Power Supply Unit) similar to the official SkyMiner.
Hi adhaelon, thank you for the awesome setup. I am a complete newbie to this and I'm really glad that I found something like this. I read somewhere that you were in Australia and was wondering if you could help.

I'm trying to do the exact same build but I wasn't able to find a 10 port 12A power supply available in Australia. Do you mind if I ask where you found one with those specs? At this current rate, I might just roll back to a 6 port power supply and just build a miner with 6 in the meantime.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/offi...-codcs1024

I got mine from Officeworks. 2.4A per port, more than enough but I wanted to experiment with overclocking.
Hey guys, so I have the correct orange pi setups, I initially loaded the armbian image to the boards and they were working fine but I decided to make life easy and flashed the skywire raspbian image to the boards, however the skywire image is not booting at all. I used both Rufus and win32 disk image to load the images after wiping all the data and partions from the SD, but they still won't load. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Sorry if it's a noob question! Thank you!
(05-10-2018, 12:48 AM)mojo4567 Wrote: Hey guys, so I have the correct orange pi setups, I initially loaded the armbian image to the boards and they were working fine but I decided to make life easy and flashed the skywire raspbian image to the boards, however the skywire image is not booting at all. I used both Rufus and win32 disk image to load the images after wiping all the data and partions from the SD, but they still won't load. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Sorry if it's a noob question! Thank you!

Did you try the official images on Orange Pi Prime boards? They should work fine after flashing with win32 disk imager. Test loading the manager image first

If your Orange Pi doesn't light up after flashing the image and powering it on, something is wrong with copy. After flashing the sd cards, windows should prompt you to format them. Ignore the warning, right click on the usb icon and safely eject them. Now insert them into the Orange Pis and apply power. **The Pis cannot be powered via the USB port. You have to connect the power jack
Okay so my node is online, now what? Sit back and wait for something to happen or do I need to link it to my Skycoin wallet on my PC? I know testnet isn't live yet but I'm not sure what the next step is.
Thank you very much for the tutorial!!

On the other hand, I'm a little bit concern about the DIY whitelist and with this node. The official one has 16GB of RAM, do you think these nodes with 8GB will be whitelisted? Remember that if we are not whitelisted we won't get rewards (and probably we need to buy another 8 Pi to have the 16GB or change all the cards). What do you think about it?
And one more question. In theory 64bits OS is needed for whitelisting and raspbian is 32bits so maybe it's not going to work neither (for rewards I mean)
THanks for this guide awesome! I am experiencing an issue where my nodes appear (all 8 of them) on start up but then all disapear apart from the master node about 5 seconds after. Does anyone know why this might be the case?

*edit* solved the problem. Didnt remove the # when configuring the IP address assignment and didn't realise there was 2 master IP node addresses I needed to edit in the file
(04-11-2018, 06:46 AM)windrip Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 06:08 PM)**GILL** Wrote: Phenomenal Guide!  Thank you for that.

My question is... Where/how do you set up a wallet address for mining payouts?  Or am i missing something?  I understand we are on the Testnet, so does that not apply?

Payment details are yet to be finalized but there is a keys.json file once you setup and run Skywire on each node for the first time and it includes your public node key as well as the Seed for a skycoin wallet that's associated with that board.

The location of the file on Linux is ~/.skywire/node/keys.json

I've been in the IT in and Networking industry for years and feel like such a fucken noob for asking this because I rarely play with linux other than some old Asterisk phone systems, but how do i access that file?  Heart