Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Skywire Question...
Learning this new technology can be a bit complex, but I'm trying my best to wrap my head around this amazing, evolutionary idea of Skywire!

Question:

Since Skywire is pretty much going to be the first decentralized internet, will we be able to go on the same regular websites that we have access to now, or will we only have access to the sites that are built upon the Skywire framework?

I might be using the wrong terms, but I apologize and I'm still learning...but overall you know what I'm trying to ask lol Big Grin
Abundance is the receiving power of your mind...So, let us create & receive the future that we ALL DESERVE!
As far as I understand, it works similarly to using TOR now. You can only access skywire sites through a skywire node, but there is/will/shouldbe "exit" nodes that tunnel back to ipv4/v6, or to a 3rd party VPN to prevent blocklisting (as is common with TOR exit nodes).
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to fly for this post:
  • Currency_Curtis
Thumbs Up 
(01-20-2018, 11:34 PM)fly Wrote: As far as I understand, it works similarly to using TOR now. You can only access skywire sites through a skywire node, but there is/will/shouldbe "exit" nodes that tunnel back to ipv4/v6, or to a 3rd party VPN to prevent blocklisting (as is common with TOR exit nodes).

Thank you, I definitely appreciate that!

Not sure if I fully understood what that meant lol, but I have a better understanding now!
Abundance is the receiving power of your mind...So, let us create & receive the future that we ALL DESERVE!
Fly,
Currency_Curtis wrote: "Not sure if I fully understood what that meant lol, but I have a better understanding now!"!
I support Curtis's reaction wholeheartedly, can you (or anybody) explain that in layman's terms please (please read the post by "docukno: Successfull installation: What next?").
(01-24-2018, 07:24 AM)Docukno Wrote: Fly,
Currency_Curtis wrote: "Not sure if I fully understood what that meant lol, but I have a better understanding now!"!
I support Curtis's reaction wholeheartedly, can you (or anybody) explain that in layman's terms please (please read the post by "docukno: Successfull installation: What next?").
Hmm, I'm kinda in between the typical layman and a professional. So perhaps that's a good position to explain, I just ask that the real pro's excuse my oversights in simplification Wink

Internet traffic is sent in chunks ("packets") that have identifying data attached at the beginning (and end?) that is called a "header". This tells about what is in the data and where it is going, plus more. Without spending time (that I don't have, sorry) trying to explain the whole deal, basically skywire uses a new method of structuring these packets that enables/creates all the neat features. They must be different than the existing way of doing things because the existing way of doing things makes the features we want difficult or impossible.

This means that a computer not running skywire won't be able to make sense of any packets sent by skywire. It will just be random noise to them. But a computer running skywire can put skywire packets inside of legacy packets (or convert them back and forth, not sure which is simpler/faster) and have the existing internet transfer them to another skywire node that can then take the skywire packet out and send it to more skywire nodes.

what this means is people can run websites on the clearnet that act as a skywire node and allow people from the clearnet to interact with a skywire site or application, if someone does the legwork to make that happen. Similarly, there will definitely be skywire nodes that offer a portal to spit out legacy internet packets to do normal things. It will look like the "exit" node is sending all the traffic from anyone on skywire. This is the "VPN" feature and will probably(IMO) be the first major function of skywire to be highly utilized.

All the time i've got for now, I'll come back and post more though. This can be a good thread for us non-developers to brainstorm and bridge the understanding/jargon gap.