Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sky Miner H/W Configuration on PC (or other)
What would a Skywire Miner hardware configuration look like on a PC if it is at all possible to use it as a Miner? (we've seen the s/w run in different OS environments, let's talk some hardware other than the "official" Miner).
I would like to know too. Or a PC that runs a linux shell?
I'm somewhat disappointed to see that there's almost no reaction from others that would like to hear about the possibility of running a Miner on a stock standard PC H/W config, whether it be under Windows, Linux or any other operating system: Miners running on PC's (almost on every table in the world) could help boost the Sky mesh network like a fire! Or am I barking up the (obvious) wrong tree?
(01-16-2018, 04:20 AM)Docukno Wrote: I'm somewhat disappointed to see that there's almost no reaction from others that would like to hear about the possibility of running a Miner on a stock standard PC H/W config, whether it be under Windows, Linux or any other operating system: Miners running on PC's (almost on every table in the world) could help boost the Sky mesh network like a fire! Or am I barking up the (obvious) wrong tree?

It's all over the forum. 

I'm guessing you want windows?
https://skywug.net/forum/Thread-Skywire-...ht=windows

There are multiple threads for all kinds of OS's, granted it's still early and we're missing some documentation, but try to do a little poking around before you go and post things like this thanks.
I did lots of poking around, thank you. I'm past OS's (Windows and the likes), and desktops. Surely a desktop has to have interfaces to the rest of the world, if not, then why bother, a new internet will be child's play! "Systems" don't only consist of s/w: how do you talk with the rest of the world? Surely not only with s/w (Windows, Linux, etc)?
BTW, stop your down talking, you do it on Telegram too. I (we) don't like that tone surely?
(01-16-2018, 07:26 AM)Docukno Wrote: I did lots of poking around, thank you. I'm past OS's (Windows and the likes), and desktops. Surely a desktop has to have interfaces to the rest of the world, if not, then why bother, a new internet will be child's play! "Systems" don't only consist of s/w: how do you talk with the rest of the world? Surely not only with s/w (Windows, Linux, etc)?
BTW, stop your down talking, you do it on Telegram too. I (we) don't like that tone surely?

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at I'm sorry maybe I'm just not the person to help.

I also apologize for the "down talk" I have pretty poor social skills but I'm trying to contribute.
(01-15-2018, 11:54 AM)Docukno Wrote: What would a Skywire Miner hardware configuration look like on a PC if it is at all possible to use it as a Miner? (we've seen the s/w run in different OS environments, let's talk some hardware other than the "official" Miner).

I don't think anyone can predict what the hardware bottlenecks will be. Right now a full featured PC will have everything necessary to run a miner, it just won't be power efficient because of unnecessary components. Considering there is no PoW workload I don't think power efficiency will drastically affect profitability for the foreseeable future.

The V1 skyminer packs a lot of capacity (8 separate 1 Gbit pathways, each with 2GB ram and 4 processing cores) onto a 100w power supply. So that's like having a PC with 7 extra LAN ports, 16 gb ram and 4 octacore processors, except using 1/10th the power and probably 1/10th of the hardware cost. Even if most people only end up using 1 or 2 of the boards it'll still be cheaper to buy or build a skyminer than to buy standard desktop computers to run skywire nodes.

Of course if you already have said desktop, then it'll definitely be worth using. I imagine that bandwidth will be the limiting factor for most people.

I'm just gonna build a 4x orange pi miner to start, that way I can get by with a cheaper 4 port router and no switch. Depending on how testnet trials go, I'll upgrade where necessary. If it looks like 2gb ram isn't enough, i'll get boards with more ram. if it looks like processing power is the bottleneck, i'll just get more boards. If it looks like discrete nodes are the bottleneck, i'll get a big switch and lots of boards. if it looks like storage space is the bottleneck, I'll get sata drives. If only 1 or 2 of my boards get used, I'll focus on making smaller miners and distributing them to people I know to increase the geographic spread of the network.

If buying or building a "skyminer" is financially out of reach, just use whatever. At this point I don't think hardware specifics will be anywhere near as important as participation!!!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to fly for this post:
  • Lancek
agreed! i think being able to get into mining without a dedicated miner would get more people involved.
sky: 27oB97MjgvMLQq2B2CgWyVr8E3gxea47T1e
(01-29-2018, 06:35 AM)Planimo Wrote: agreed! i think being able to get into mining without a dedicated miner would get more people involved.

PLANIMO:
YES!! My original thought/question was the following (my belief is that 'participation' per se will be one of the key success factors in the Skywire success story):
Is it completely impossible to use a "powerfull" PC (on almost all desks (with a few additions)) in a 'miner' role (at very reduced bandwidth (and other)) characteristics? (in other words create the potential for a huge increase in participation in Skywire?).
"Why are so many Orange Pis required. What do they all do. What is different from a quad-core PC running multiple lightweight Linux  VMs?"