Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skyminer Cost
Would it be cost effective for me to build my own skyminer now that the testnet is live?

Or its better for me to wait for the release of the official plug & play skyminer once test-net is over? How much will the official skyminer cost after test-net?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to bikayi for this post:
  • expat42451
(05-18-2018, 02:14 PM)bikayi Wrote: Would it be cost effective for me to build my own skyminer now that the testnet is live?

Or its better for me to wait for the release of the official plug & play skyminer once test-net is over? How much will the official skyminer cost after test-net?

The idea that most people who are looking at this as a profit making model are banking on is:
The earlyer you get in, the better the reward. Yes waiting for the plug and play mining device is very cost effective but how much sky are you going to potentially miss out on? Getting into skywire mining now will be like getting into bitcoin mining when it was all done on CPU's. There are few competitors in the mining space. The ROI time will probably be the best it will ever be. If it grows as fast as stuff like bitcoin has you could be looking at a situation where you made more mining in years 1 - 2/3 than in years 4 to 10.

There is no guarteed ROI. What has been suggested is that skycoins are going to be realsed at 5% per year for the next 15-18 years. This means that every year the same number of coins are up for grabs but the competition for those coins will not be the same. As more people jump in it will artifically act as a mining difficulty curve like you see for bitcoin.

I personally am building a 4 node and an 8 node miner, I love the idea of the project and im adding hardware at a cost to myself to help it allong. Potential profit is a side activity for me personally. If your intrested in the idea but are not sure if you want to take the early risk. Wait it out, see how much people are making, what their ROI times are and figure out for yourself how much you want to invest into a miner and potentially in a better network connection. If you want to test the water, I would get a one or two node miner plugged into the back of your router. For the cost of 45 - 50 dollers a unit counting cables and sd cards and see what happens.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to I Am You for this post:
  • expat42451
bikayi  and Iamyou

You together have answered a couple of the questions I have been trying to find for several hours, about cost and ROI vs early entry.

I live in Ecuador. I build computers and run several versions of Linux for various things. From looking at a map I saw of Testnet there isnt anyone in Ecuador. I want to build a miner but question is which of the pi boards to get?? I dont want to build a miner and have the hardware rejected when things go forward.

Many kind thanks, this is my first post
expat
(05-23-2018, 08:42 PM)expat42451 Wrote: bikayi  and Iamyou

You together have answered a couple of the questions I have been trying to find for several hours, about cost and ROI vs early entry.

I live in Ecuador. I build computers and run several versions of Linux for various things. From looking at a map I saw of Testnet there isnt anyone in Ecuador. I want to build a miner but question is which of the pi boards to get?? I dont want to build a miner and have the hardware rejected when things go forward.

Many kind thanks, this is my first post
expat

I am glad I could help.

when mainnet hits anything will work. At the moment testnet is open for applcations untill the 31st. As for when it will re-open applications or if it will, I dont have that information.  Currently they are trying to have dedicated devices running the software. The most common units are Raspberry pi 3 modle B+'s and Orange Pi primes.

but there are a lot of other builds out there such as the Pine boards, Le Potatos or even just Raspberry Pi 3 modles B's.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to I Am You for this post:
  • expat42451
I Am You

Brief note to say thank you very much for this info. I am conversant with x86-64 but have not to date done anything with Arm so this may be a first project.
(05-24-2018, 03:04 PM)expat42451 Wrote: I Am You

Brief note to say thank you  very much for this info. I am conversant with  x86-64 but have not to date done anything with Arm so this may be a first project.

Best of luck!