Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skywire on Raspberry Pi 3?
Hey guys! 

I'm new to all this Skycoin stuff and building up basic knowledge about it atm. 
My question is the following: Is it possible to build a skywire miner on a Raspberry Pi? If so, how does the process differ from building it around an Orange Pi? I have a spare Raspberry Pi 3 lying around here and would like to try out building a skywire miner for myself with it as a first test wether my skills are enough or not for a project like this.

Greetz, 
pola
I have a whole bunch of raspberry pi 3's lying around too. Very interested in if it's possible to mine on it!
armv6l is the architecture you would like to use on RPi.
given that precompiled binary for golang exists for armv6l, I don't see a problem running it. (https://dl.google.com/go/go1.9.2.linux-armv6l.tar.gz)

you can even follow the same manual/video that was made for orangePi, just use a RPi architecture where needed (to build distro from scratch and to install golang).
Okay, here's an update on my question:

After fiddeling around a bit, I checked my Raspberry Pi and realised that it's a Pi 2. The Pi 2 however has a 32-bit processor unlike the Pi 3 which has got 64. Unfortunately the Skywire Software only runs on any 64-bit Processor, which is not good for me but excellent for everyone owning anything with a 64 bit processor (correct me if I'm wrong). You can run the Skyminer Software on virtually any operating system and any Hardware as long as it runs on a 64-bit processor.

The follow-up question however is: does it matter what hardware I use? Or is the only difference whether I bought the official Skyminer build or not? AFAIK there's no answer to that question from the developers up until now.

greetz Pola
haven't gone much into the codebase, and haven't tried it myself (do plan to do more tests towards the end of the month), but don't see why it shouldn't run on 32bit cpus, except if there is some problem with the golang with 32bit arm cpu itself.

but yes, it's best to try it yourself and know for sure.

also, given the small difference in price between RPi2 and RPi3 (even 2 being more expensive with some UK/EU resellers!!), you should really look and go for the RPi3 - you'll probably save time and have more usable system afterwards.
(01-17-2018, 03:33 PM)bonefish Wrote: haven't gone much into the codebase, and haven't tried it myself (do plan to do more tests towards the end of the month), but don't see why it shouldn't run on 32bit cpus, except if there is some problem with the golang with 32bit arm cpu itself.

but yes, it's best to try it yourself and know for sure.

also, given the small difference in price between RPi2 and RPi3 (even 2 being more expensive with some UK/EU resellers!!), you should really look and go for the RPi3 - you'll probably save time and have more usable system afterwards.

It does fail at the point where I would have to run 
Code:
go get github.com/skycoin/skycoin/...

so it's probably what you suspected. I'm checking out alternative methods atm. Gonna keep you updated!
UPDATE #2

So, I tried a few things, but couldn't get Skywire to run on my Pi 2. The problem seems to be, that Go can only run in 64-bit.
Hi All,
Running Skywire on RasPi is possible - mine has been up and running on RasPi 2B+ for the past 17days. I put together a HOWTO on GitHub with detailed instructions (sorry published it on GitHub before I discovered SkyWug).

I have been fielding a lot of questions in the Skywire Telegram groups also about RasPi setup.

https://github.com/BigOokie/SkiPi

(01-17-2018, 08:48 PM)m.polapria Wrote: UPDATE #2

So, I tried a few things, but couldn't get Skywire to run on my Pi 2. The problem seems to be, that Go can only run in 64-bit.

Go can run on RasPi 2 (32bit). Doesn't need to be 64bit... but you do need to get the right version of Go for the platform.