Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does it cost to setup a Dapp and keep it running on Skycoin/Sky Fiber?
Hello,

I have a few questions I am having a hard time finding answers to.

Is the ecosystem designed so that every DApp needs its own separate blockchain on Sky Fiber to operate?

Is my understanding correct that the point of Sky Fiber is to partition the blockchains so that not all nodes will need to run all Sky Fiber chains? If my understanding is correct, do I need to include an economic model within my DApp to incentivize nodes to run it, or is there something in the Skycoin ecosystem outside of my DApp I can pay to get people to run my DApp or increase the number of nodes running it (for example paying Skycoin/coin hours)?

I'd appreciate any info here.
In case anyone is curious, I'm much more familiar with the project now and I believe it is the case where Dapps that want to use a blockchain will be kicking it off on their own hardware, and there are good reasons they would want to use their own chain anyway regarding performance and customizability. The details of sky fiber are not worked out yet and will come later after the sky wire rollout. I think with the early stage of sky fiber economic models like I mentioned where someone could pay someone else in coin hours to propagate a blockchain it's just too early to speculate on if that's possible for me.

My understanding is the concept of sky fiber became important as a way to indirectly monetize other applications that clone the skycoin code by enhancing interoperability and letting skycoin clones contribute some value to the ecosystem.
Now I actually found Synth posting about this while looking through old telegram posts:

[2017/10/15]
"Right now, the biggest thing is that we are able to allow companies to launch tokens in a very easy way and interoperable way. Where they can have their own independent blockchain (instead of being forced onto ethereum), while having the advantages of being listed on exchanges (liquidity) from the first minute, security of a hardware based network and ability to rent nodes for blockchain hosting, transaction relay and consensus verification, etc in intergrated environment.

This becomes important when you have +1,000,000 crypto assets.

For instance delaware allows companies to put their stock/equity on blockchain as a legal accounting system. And you may have 10 million small companies with their equity on blockchain and each one wants independent blockchain. So the system needs to be fairly automated and rules like "rent servers to replicate this data and if there are less than 5 servers active, rent more servers to keep the number above 5", etc

So If a registered agent is going to offer to allow the companies they sevice to put their equity on blockchain; we are basicly the only platform that can support this. Some of these registered agents are servicing +5 million shell companies and it needs to be a fairly automated process and controlled end-to-end with no failure modes."